by Stian

Outlook: Synchronization Errors shown as unread e-mail

I’ve been bugged a lot with some synchronization errors between Outlook 2010 and our exchange server. I check different forums to try to figure out how I could fix these problems, but so far I only have a solution that at least keeps it out of my sight.

There is a “Sync Issues” folder in the root of your exchange account and this is where several times a day I get new errors like this one:

14:12:40 Synchronizer Version 14.0.6109
14:12:40 Synchronizing Mailbox ‘XXXX XXXXX’
14:12:40 Synchronizing local changes in folder ‘Drafts’
14:12:40 Uploading to server ‘XXXXXXX.mailbox.com’
14:12:40 Synchronization of some deletions failed.
14:12:40                                 [0-130]
14:12:40                   1 item(s) deleted in online folder

14:12:40 Done

I don’t experience any problems in Outlook and I wouldn’t know there was a problem unless these sync issues showed as unread e-mails in the default Search Folder “Unread e-mail”. I wanted to solve the errors because they showed there, but as I realized that this wasn’t an issue worth throwing hours at, I figured out a way to change the “unread e-mail” search folder instead.

To customize the search folder, follow these steps:

  1. Right click the “Unread e-mail” search folder
  2. Click “Customize This Search Folder…”
  3. In the “Mail from these folders will be included in this Search Folder” click “Browse”
  4. Select the folders that you want to show results from – note that the Sync Issues folder is not even showing in this list, but since the top node is selected by default, it is included.

menuoutlook2012-12-11_0735

Selecting the “Inbox” with “Search subfolders” ticked would be a great suggestion here as long as your personal folders are located directly under your inbox and not in the root.

by Njål

Outlook Web App 2010 Auto login

Microsoft Exchange Server 2010

This one goes out to all my fans out there. A simple html page that automatically logs you in to Outlook Web App. Handy when webmail is the only thing you have access to, and you canstantly keep getting logged out (since your nazi sysadmin refuses to extend the session timeout period).

<html>
  <body style="display: none">
    <form action="https://exchangeserver.com/owa/auth/owaauth.dll" method="POST" name="logonForm" ENCTYPE="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" id="loginForm">
      <input type="hidden" name="destination" value="https://exchangeserver.com/owa/">
      <input type="hidden" name="username"  value="joe@scrotum.org" >
      <input type="hidden" name="password"  value="Balls_1234$">
      <input type="hidden" name="flags" value="4">
      <input type="hidden" name="forcedownlevel" value="0">
      <input type="radio"  name="trusted" value="4" class="rdo" checked>
      <input type="hidden" name="isUtf8"  value="1">
    </form>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      document.forms["logonForm"].submit();
    </script>
  </body>
</html>

Replace action, destination, username & password. Save this file to your desktop etc. and create a shortcut/bookmark to it. You’re done.

This can also be used to facilitate one-click login into OWA from an intranet etc.